Hancock County by the numbers
miles of important highways rated ‘D’ or ‘F’ for safety
of bridges are ‘structurally deficient’ (avg. age 67 years)
of all of Maine’s ‘F’-rated priority 3 highways
These high traffic, important local roads are in bad shape, present safety concerns and in need of considerable investment.
Major Highway Deficiencies:
- Priority 1 sections on Routes 1-A in Ellsworth and 3 in Bar Harbor
- Priority 2 sections on Route 1in Gouldsboro-Sullivan
- Priority 3 sections on Routes 15 from Orland to Stonington, 172 in Blue Hill and 102/198 on Mount Desert Island
Major Non-Highway Needs:
- Acquisition of the Bar Harbor Ferry Terminal
- Funding and completion of Acadia Gateway Center
Highway corridors, bridges and high crash locations we need to fix
Deficient /obsolete bridge – usually an aging bridge in need of repair or reconstruction
High crash location – an intersection or stretch of road with unacceptable accident rates
FixItNow Maine is a project by the Maine Better Transportation Association and its members. Learn more at www.mbtaonline.org.